Sassy Scrappers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!!

+5
stephster17
xhater
Scrappin Amy
jillybean66
Willow
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Empty Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!!

Post  Willow Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome to the weekend everyone! I'll be your host for this weekend's crop and chat. If you get a chance to join us this weekend, be sure to let us know what you've got planned for this mid-July weekend.

I've got a challenge for you, of course. I was trying to think of something that would be quick, since I know everyone is super busy during the summer. I decided to challenge you (and me) to create a layout with some "white space". Like most of you, I love to use lots of embellishments, photos, and patterned paper on my layouts. But I also love to see layouts that have some "white space". You know.....it's those layouts that you look at and fall in love with the simplicity of it.

"White space" isn't something that's white (although it can be). It is also referred to as negative space. It is frequently used in print and advertising. It's the space that is around the focal point of the ad (or layout). It allows the eye to focus on the subject, and not be confused, or looking around to see everything else that's on the ad (or layout).

One thing to keep in mind when designing a layout with "white space", is to keep the "white space" on the outside of your layout. Cluster your focal point + embellishments together, and let the "white space" (or negative space) be outside that area. It doesn't work well if you have some elements on your page separated by "white space", because that makes the eye have to jump over the negative space to see everything. One easy way to have some "white space" on your layout is to cluster your focal point in the center of the page, and use the "white space" as a sort of frame.

So, your challenge is to create a layout with some white space - it's as simple as that. I've searched the gallery for some layouts that have white space and have posted them below. Feel free to use them for inspiration. As you'll notice, layouts with white space are not at all boring, and there is not lack of embellishments. It's all a matter of where and how you place things.

Fine print: I have a RAK for the winner of this challenge, chosen by a random drawing. Your layout must be posted in this thread by midnight Monday, July 20th to be eligible for the drawing.

Have fun! Here are some great layouts from the gallery:

Balance by Michelle (911)
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Scrapbook_contest_651

Beautiful Day by Terri
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Beutiful_day

Little Mommy by Berta
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! 1364

Hands 2 Hold by Deanna
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Hands_to_Hold

Lil' Attitude by Tammy
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Lilattitudeweb

He's 2 by Martha
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! He_s_2

Don't Pout by Nicole
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Don_t_pout-1

Last edited by Willow on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Willow
Willow
Betty Boop's Penthouse
Betty Boop's Penthouse

Number of posts : 3896
BLOG: : www.vsws.typepad.com
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Empty Re: Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!!

Post  jillybean66 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Looks like something that can get done super fast...what a great challenge, we have to go to a party tomorrow so, a fast one is great...off to create if I can!!
jillybean66
jillybean66
Judge For A Day
Judge For A Day

Number of posts : 4428
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Empty Re: Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!!

Post  Scrappin Amy Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:56 pm

You know I too pile things on alot but sometimes the papers or photo really
calls for something clean and simple like a white space page. I like them cause
it really draws your eye to the photos and journaling.
I think I have something in mind for this Smile
I dont get to play in many weekend crop and chats cause I normally go to
the LSS on the weekend but not this weekend Smile
Scrappin Amy
Scrappin Amy
Owner and Design Team Member
Owner and Design Team Member

Number of posts : 4701
BLOG: : http://www.scrappinamy.blogspot.com/
Registration date : 2008-02-17

http://www.scrappinamy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  xhater Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I really like the clean look. I used to have trouble with white space but now I enjoy making LOs using it.
xhater
xhater
The Impractical Joker
The Impractical Joker

Number of posts : 2443
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  stephster17 Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:34 pm

awesome challenge Valerie, I love white space! Definitely going to try and get this done!

I'm home after spending the whole week at Brian's, he got home last night, and is headed out again Monday! He thinks he is tired...I am trying to keep two houses and a small child in order!! LOL! Anyways, tonight Austin is hanging with daddy and I am home alone about to enjoy some uninterrupted scrappy time now that I've had myself a little nap!
stephster17
stephster17
Betty Boop For President
Betty Boop For President

Number of posts : 5711

http://mommy2austin.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jscraps4u Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

What a cool challenge Valerie! Thanks!
jscraps4u
jscraps4u
Design Team Member
Design Team Member

Number of posts : 1741
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://www.jpaluga.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  redd1977 Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Awesome challenge Valerie, I am going to try and do this one. I hope I have time...
redd1977
redd1977
Moderator and Inspirational Team

Number of posts : 4798
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  stephster17 Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:03 am

I must be in a white space kind of mood tonight, I got two pages done!

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Img_1771

Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Img_1773
stephster17
stephster17
Betty Boop For President
Betty Boop For President

Back to top Go down

Post  jillybean66 Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:52 am

Awesome job Steph! I am off to a kiddie party today, a cousin of sorts...looks like rain here today! Hope everyone has a great day!
jillybean66
jillybean66
Judge For A Day
Judge For A Day

Back to top Go down

Post  jillybean66 Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:55 am

I'm back here is mine
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! DSC_0416
jillybean66
jillybean66
Judge For A Day
Judge For A Day

Back to top Go down

Post  jscraps4u Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:14 am

Geez you guys are fast! And with fabulous layouts! I need to get off the boards and down to my scrap table. I have a ton of stuff I want to get done this weekend!
jscraps4u
jscraps4u
Design Team Member
Design Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Willow Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 am

Wow Steph, you jumped right on this one. What beautiful layouts, both of them! The purple and charcoal colors are beautiful together, and the softness of the other layout are so sweet with the infant photo.

Glad you were able to participate, Jill. What a great layout. I love the way the arrows draw the eye across the layout.
Willow
Willow
Betty Boop's Penthouse
Betty Boop's Penthouse

Back to top Go down

Post  redd1977 Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Love the layouts Steph and Jill. I hope I can get a quick one done.

I have to run to our oldest boys tomorrow morning to pick up a dryer. Then back home and have more work to do. UGH! I am gonna try to fit this one in... I need so scrappy time.
redd1977
redd1977

Number of posts : 4798
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  jscraps4u Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:34 am

Wow...I think I already commented on Jill's and Steph's layouts...but I still love them! LOL!!

I completed a layout last night, but I dont' know if there is enough white space to qualify.

Happy scrapping everyone!
jscraps4u
jscraps4u
Design Team Member
Design Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Willow Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:14 am

It qualifies if it's white space to you, Janet!

I'm still hoping to have time to work on one this weekend.
Willow
Willow
Betty Boop's Penthouse
Betty Boop's Penthouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stephster17 Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:14 am

Good morning ladies!! What a crazy weekend this is! We were out all day yesterday at Summer Festival watching the parade, checking out all the kids activities and the sales! Austin went to daddy's again and I went and got some groceries...came home and got two layouts done! Today is a work party to get ready for the Folk Fest next weekend, I'm heading down to Brian's in about an hour so we can all be picked up there and taken to the farm to get to work! It is way too hot to be working out there in this heat, but it must be done!

What is everyone else up to this weekend?
stephster17
stephster17
Betty Boop For President
Betty Boop For President

Back to top Go down

Post  meterr Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Im going to work on this today!! thanks for using my layout as an example too!!

meterr
Snow White
Snow White

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post  jillybean66 Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:40 pm

It was hot here today as well...so we had a family day and hung out in the yard in the pool....but off to work in the morning..Yuck!!
jillybean66
jillybean66
Judge For A Day
Judge For A Day

Back to top Go down

Post  meterr Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:02 pm

well here mine! been so busy i MADE myself sit down and do it!!!
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! Dcfn0031

http://thesassyscrappers.net/PhotoPost/showphoto.php?photo=4734&ppuser=35

meterr
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  xhater Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:03 pm

I have really been lazy and/or tired the last two weeks. All I have been doing is thinking about scrapping and making an occasional LO. I will get busy and get this done tonight inbetween washing my sister's clothes and posting.

Terri- Love your page. That is the way a father always wants to drive with his son! Cool LO! Left you some love.
xhater
xhater
The Impractical Joker
The Impractical Joker

Back to top Go down

Post  meterr Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm

that was taken the last time we came to see you!!! Its been a while as he hasent had the pacifier in a few yrs!

meterr
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  xhater Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:27 pm

I got it done and here it is-
First Ticket
Weekend Crop & Chat (July 17-20) - WINNER!! 1st_Ticket
xhater
xhater
The Impractical Joker
The Impractical Joker

Back to top Go down

Post  luvalotmum Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:05 am

Awesome challenge! (this is a huge challenge for me)... maybe it was a good thing I was away agaiN!! Love the creations so far!
luvalotmum
luvalotmum
Design Team Member
Design Team Member

Number of posts : 324
BLOG: : http://luvalotland.blogspot.com/
Registration date : 2009-05-14

http://luvalotland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Willow Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 am

So glad you had time to participate Terri and Karen! I love the simplicity of your layouts! I didn't get time to work on mine yesterday. I chose a photo and hope to have time to sit down and scrap today.
Willow
Willow
Betty Boop's Penthouse
Betty Boop's Penthouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jscraps4u Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

Terri...what a cutie! Love the layout.

Valerie...I'll post it...there is white space in one corner! LOL!!

I didn't get as much scrapping done this weekend as I wanted. I did finish a 2 pager and one layout. I sooo need to update the team challenge chat thread. I think I'm up to 17 projects this month, but haven't posted one!
jscraps4u
jscraps4u
Design Team Member
Design Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next